S. V. College, Aligarh
Institutional Code of Ethics to Check Malpractices and Plagiarism in Research
Teaching and research is a noble profession. S. V. College is committed to ensuring quality in instruction and transparency in research. The college has a dedicated UGC and Research Promotion cell with 7 members (6 teachers and 1 clerical staff). The following guideline is being issued to promote an ethical research environment in the institution
II. Definition of Plagiarism
Plagiarism is defined as - “The practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own.”
Reference: “Plagiarism; Definition of Plagiarism in English by Oxford Dictionaries.” Oxford English Dictionaries; ).
Plagiarism is an act of academic misconduct that violates the tenets of academic integrity and honesty. It is necessary for the academic community to understand its importance and to curb its incidence by creating awareness and sensitizing all stakeholders.
Broadly speaking, the following acts constitute plagiarism
a. Copying or translation of the entire work or a significant part of someone else’s work.
b. Reporting unpublished data without permission.
c. Paraphrasing a significant portion of another researcher’s work without attribution.
d. Copying portions of another person’s work without using clear and distinct delineation marks e.g. inverted commas.
For better understanding of this issue, we encourage readers to refer to the following resources.
a) What is Plagiarism
b) Plagiarism in Scientific Research
c) Self Plagiarism
a. To promote a culture of cooperation, safety and integrity in research.
b. To promote ethical practices in research and publication.
IV. Detection of Plagiarism
The use of Urkund is recommended to detect plagiarism. Instructions for detection of plagiarism can be seen at Shodhganga (). A video tutorial for the use of Urkund is available at .
V. Institutional code of ethics
Plagiarism is a cognizable offense. Teachers and students are advised to follow good research practices in their research and submissions for publication. This code of ethics is developed to ensure transparency and honesty in research and academics. The teachers and students are advised to
1. Conduct research in accordance with accepted standards.
2. Assist and aid other researchers whenever necessary and feasible.
3. Follow norms of bioethics and biosafety in data collection
4. Take appropriate precautions to ensure safety of personal data of survey participants.
5. Report any conflict of interest or commercial interests if any.
6. Ensure precision and accuracy of data reported by them.
7. Ensure that every submission must be his/her original work and must be free from any plagiarism and contain appropriate bibliographic references.
8. Correctly cite and acknowledge sources of information / literature.
9. Avoid plagiarism, dishonesty and piracy in reporting results.
The institution is governed by rules promulgated from time to time by the UGC and the Uttar Pradesh government. UGC rules on Promotion of Academic Integrity and Prevention of Plagiarism in Higher Education Institution have been notified on 23rd July 2018. The same can be read at the url - http://www.du.ac.in/du/uploads/19092018_noti.pdf.